Minimum Temperature: -3°C (27°F)
Wind Direction: East North Easterly
Added on: 12th December, 2017 by joshua.peet
Christmas-themed pasta, half of a Curly Wurly, a 6ft inflatable giraffe and a behaviour charter from a class, are just some of the more unusual gifts local teachers claim to have received from their pupils at Christmas.
The unusual gifts were revealed in a recent survey carried out by Sheffield-based supply teacher agency, PK Education.
More than three quarters (78%) of teachers surveyed said they agreed with the practice of pupils giving gifts at Christmas, with the remainder (22%) not agreeing with the tradition, with one teacher explaining: “It’s a big pressure on parents who are already stretched at Christmas. Some pupils are aware they aren’t bringing their teacher a gift when other pupils are, solely because their parent has more spare cash.”
If you are thinking of showing your appreciation and buying a teacher a gift this year, then chocolates are what they’d most prefer (59%), followed by alcohol (30%) and then, in joint third place, gift vouchers and flowers (26%). A simple ‘thank you’, however, is highly appreciated by every teacher, with one commenting: “As lovely as it is to get a gift, I get more enjoyment from the ‘thank you’ cards and emails I get from families.”
Alcohol wasn’t everyone’s gift of choice, however, with nearly a quarter of respondents (22%) saying it was their least preferred gift. One teacher commented: “Just good polite behaviour all year round would be the perfect gift for me.”
Lee Carpenter, Director of PK Education, commented on the survey results: “Every teacher appreciates a Christmas gift, whether that’s a physical present or a simple ‘thank you,’ which goes to show it doesn’t cost anything to show your appreciation and make a teacher happy.”
As part of the survey, PK Education also asked teachers what their one wish for education was this Christmas, provoking strong reactions. The majority of teachers said they wanted more funding for education with one respondent commenting: “I’d wish that schools had access to the funding they require to ensure pupils have the best possible start.”
Another added: “(My Christmas wish would be) That teachers would be trusted by the Government/ Ofsted etc to be professional and competent, and allowed to get on with teaching and nurturing pupils instead of completing admin to constantly justify their existence.”
Another commented: “Focus more on fun learning and having the children enjoy the classroom. Too much time is focused on paperwork.”
Established in 2005, PK Education is a leading teaching and support staff supplier with seven regional offices in the Newcastle, Wakefield, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham and Manchester. If you are interested in supply teaching opportunities, please visit www.pkeducation.co.uk.