Locke Park was given to the town by Phoebe Locke, in memory of her husband Joseph Locke. It opened in 1862.
The Tower was erected in memory of Phoebe by her sister Sarah McCreery, in 1877. Sarah also donated a further twenty acres of land to extend the top part of the park. The land is held in trust by the Council as a park and pleasure ground for the people of Barnsley. It is ‘the People’s Park’.
Today there is a lot of interest in the park and many people have happy childhood memories of the park. However there are problems with vandalism, graffiti and dog fouling. New facilities and events are needed to attract people into the park.
The ‘Friends of Locke Park’ are working with the Council to develop and improve the Park . Widespread consultation has taken place to find out what people like and dislike about the park, and what improvements, new facilities and events they would like.